Saturday, 28 April 2012

How Low Maintenance are you ?

It occurred to me today as I was "putting on my makeup" I use that term loosely as I am not, and have never been big on wearing makeup, and that actually I really am very low maintenance.  I thought it might be fun and probably quite shocking for some people, to see the contents of my makeup bag.  People like MostlyYummy might not want to look at this post.  I  feel for sure she will be horrified !

I have never been a girly girl although I have tried in the past.  I remember the red lipstick day.  EVERYBODY was wearing red lipstick  with smokey eyes and pale skin.  Luscious, red slashes across their face making them look glamorous and grown up.  Me ?  I just looked liked Coco the clown, and it stained my bloody lips.  I couldn't get it off for about two days.  Comments of " have you cut your lip ?"  and  "Have you been eating an ice lolly ? "



What ! Too much ?


Then there were the good old 1980's when it was really cool to wear blue eye liner with pink eyelids.  I can do this one I thought.  The blue actually looked OK with my blue eyes.  It was probably the blue mascara that was a touch too far !  At the time I was living with a man who thought every evening after work had to start in the local pub (in those days you could still smoke in them too). 
The result ?  Eyes watering so badly from sitting amongst the smokers trying to look grown up and sophisticated but actually having rivers of blue running down my cheeks.  I looked like my blue eyes were in fact melting !

Or the time the same man decided we would stay over in London after going to the theatre.  Being the low maintenance girl I was I only had a Tampax and a pink blusher in my handbag.  Result , Blusher on my cheeks, lips and eyelids the next morning.  I thought I looked OK swanning out of a five star hotel in my evening clothes, killer heels and pink panther face.  The staff on the other hand just gave each other knowing sideways looks.  Another businessman with his hooker!




Anyway, so here are the contents of my makeup bag (look away MostlyYummy) .  Makeup bag is actually one of those in flight pouch things you are given when you fly first class with British Airways!  Not me of course, stolen from my mother's house.  She has cupboards full of them. 




Contents :


Big silver thing at the top - retractable blusher brush another donation from mothers house

Gold thing underneath -  is actually a touche eclat I picked up at the airport on my way out on honeymoon ! yep, it is actually nearly 9 yrs old.  Didn't work for me, just made me look like Donald Trump with big white patches around my eyes.  Can't bring myself to throw it away ! It was SO expensive.

Pretty red round tin - Cherry lip gloss included in the goody bag from the first Cybermummy I think.  Do use it sometimes but just end up licking the sticky stuff off.

Lacura Blusher and Mascara - best value makeup that suits my pocket

Teeny pencil - my grey eyeliner, how Small can YOU go ?

Blue Shark pencil sharpener stolen from the twins, AND it still sharpens the eye pencil !

That's it.  What do you think, can you improve on my low maintenance makeup bag ?

25 comments:

  1. Hi Karen. I read your tweets ALL day from my phone and when I can get sneak in breaks from my little boys, I stop by here and lurk. This post yanked me out of hiding though... so hi.

    Karen, I'm such a tomboy that I dont even carry a makeup bag. I own one purse that gets no attention. I own three pair of shoes that probably match none of the four outfits that are wadded up in my closet. I own no jewelry. I'm done trying to look like a 31 year old woman. I have one girlfriend that I speak to on a biweekly basis and I'm convinced that she's embarrassed of me... but what are ya gonna do? I am who I am heehee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mariah ! and welcome *big smile* thank you for finding the time to comment I really appreciate it xx

      I think you said it all when you said you are what you are. All thats important in the end. As long as you are happy : ) xx

      Delete
  2. Hello! I have as little as you if not less! Mine consists of an eyeshadow, eyeshadow brush, double ended (white/black) mascara, very occasionally an eyeliner and even more occasionally a lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shona, at least yours sounds organised. I like the sound of the double ended mascara, isn't the white supposed to make your lashes look bigger ? xx

      Delete
    2. Yep, I've got the stubbiest shortest lashes of anyone I know, so I need all the help I can get! My brother got all the eyelash genes, his are black and thick and long, huh!

      Delete
  3. Oh deary me! I wish I could exist on a teeny bit of make up, but sadly my make up bagS are full to bursting! I even have products that I've never used (I think it's called an addiction!)

    But, good for you if you don't need or want make up! Im jealous! I'd love to run out of the house sometimes without a face full but I'm sure I'd scare people with my blonde lashes and pasty face! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, how MANY makeup bags exactly ? It must be quite an expensive addiction.

      oh I def NEED makeup just look rubbish with it on, baggy eyelids, smal mouth and eyes. You get the picture xx

      Delete
  4. I have less as well! I sometimes wear mascara (must be several years old by now), very occasionally liquid foundation to correct blemishes and powder to reduce shine but only sometimes. Somewhere I have a kids' pastel colours eyeshadow palette and some blusher from my ballet days but I haven't worn those in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, May your makeup bag sounds almost as bad as mine with my childrens pencil sharpener xx

      Delete
  5. Love this post, I did one like this ages ago. I have quite a lot of makeup really, but hardly ever wear it. I probably put make-up on about once a month, and it's not because I don't need it, believe me I do! Just can't be bothered I suppose. Love the fact you can't bear to throw the touche eclat out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! there is an element of that with me too, it seems such a hassle and seems to make no difference to how I look when I do bother. or actually makes me look worse !

      Let me have the link to your post, would love a peak xx

      Delete
  6. Now that I've stopped laughing I'll comment! And I'm laughing in a good way! I actually love that you have your essentials nailed like you do. I only wish that I looked half as glam as you do without having to resort to my slap! I'm also rather jealous of your pencil sharpener as it makes the freebie one I got with a Chanel eyeliner look boring in comparison ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glam ? not me Mrs.

      You must spend serious amounts of money with Chanel if they give you a free pencil sharpener xx

      Delete
  7. Make up bag? What's one of those? I spend my life splattered in paint. I am definitely an embarrassment to be seen with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah but I bet you are one of those natural beauties who look great without makeup xx

      Delete
  8. I only ever wear a tiny bit of makeup when we go out for a meal or on holiday i try and make a little effort :~ I guess ive just never been a girly girl in that way even tho i love most things girly clothes and makeup are just not my thing im happy in jeans and tshirts and no makeup.
    Saying that though most ppl hardly recognise me when i do make an effort so a bit of makeup must be a huge transformation lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just like you. I love the idea of girly and being beautifully made up but it just never suits me. I feel most comfy in jeans and strippy tops, or am I just being lazy ?

      Delete
    2. I dont think its being lazy its more being comfortable in what you wear! :) x

      Delete
  9. Haha. I've got LOTS of makeup. Just very little I actually use any more. Motherhood has made me low maintenance. The L'acura stuff is good, but I've got that mascara and I end up looking like Alice Cooper every time we go puddle splashing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motherhood has an effect on more than just your makeup doesn't it : ) xx

      With the puddle splashing do you put your face in them hehehe xx

      Delete
  10. Just lipstick for me - and that only lasts about 5 minutes. I've tried doing the makeup thing but I just don't know how to make it look natural (or even good).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am exactly the same. I even had three so called makeup women trial me for my wedding and all of them made me look like I was in drag ! ended up doing it myself with just eye liner, mascara and a bit of blusher : (

      Delete
  11. Your eye Liner is the same size as mine :-) thought I was the only one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, wondering how low we can go ? xx

      Delete
  12. At first glance it didn't look too bad, but the I read your concealer was 9 years old! Gosh -you know there's a best before date on make up? ;)
    I use the same concealer and I buy approx 3-4 of them every year. LOL
    Other than that your essential make up bag didn't look too bad to me. If you have the confidence to leave the house with no or little make up -I'd say: Go Girl!

    Lots of love B / Little Scandinavian

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

google analytics